8. Who Wants To Be Told Bad News? (25.8.71) (repeated 19.6.73)
9. The Man Who Didn't Eat Sweets (1.9.71) (repeated 26.6.73)
10. Ward Of Court (8.9.71) (repeated 17.7.73)
11. Transatlantic Cousins (15.9.71) (repeated 24.7.73)
12. Shades Of White (22.9.71) (repeated 7.8.73)
13. John VII. Verse 24 (29.9.71) (repeated 14.8.73)
This is derived from the VTR numbers in the Kaleidscope Guide:
Well - There Was This Girl, You See
Come Into the Garden, Rose
Shades Of White
Slip Home In the Dark
A Mug Named Frank
Who Wants To Be Told Bad News?
The Man Who Didn't Like Sweets
I Always Wanted a Swimming Pool (produced 19th to 31st March 1971)
Ward Of Court
And When You've Paid the Bill You're None the Wiser
John VII. Verse 24
The Beater And the Game
Who Wants To Be Told Bad News? was the first in this series to be recorded in colour on 2nd-3rd March 1971 after the earlier episodes had had to be produced in monochrome due to the ITV dispute. The Beater And the Game was the last produced, taped on 27th May 1971. This suggests each episode took just two weeks to produce and would point to the first episode being made in January 1971, assuming that there was no gap in production.
Maybe it's a little surprising that A Mug Named Frank was not the first into production, given that it provides the link between the Brighton and Windsor series. It may have been a logistical issue of finding the best time to film in both locations or get the right personnel. Another possibility is the episode was held back in the frustrated hope that the dispute would be ended in time for it to be shot in colour. Generally the production and broadcast orders are quite different.
The first of the Windsor series, and a return to thirteen episodes. This should have been the first wholly in colour but a number were recorded in black and white due to a technical dispute. Broadcasts were fully networked from 9.00 to 10.00 pm on Wednesday evenings.
The 1973 repeats were in the afternoons, again across the whole ITV network. They ran from 3.25 to 4.20pm. All the colour episodes were re-run by UK Gold in the latter part of 1995.
1. A Mug Named Frank (7.7.71) (repeated Mon 9.4.73)
2. Well - There Was This Girl You See (14.7.71) (repeated 16.4.73)
3. Slip Home In the Dark (21.7.71) (repeated 30.4.73)
4. I Always Wanted a Swimming Pool (28.7.71) (repeated 7.5.73)
5. The Beater And the Game (4.8.71) (repeated 14.5.73)
6. Come Into the Garden, Rose (11.8.71) (repeated 21.5.73)
7. And When You've Paid the Bill, You're None the Wiser (18.8.71) (repeated Tues 5.6.73)
Percy Firbank (Ray Smith) makes his debut in A Mug Named Frank